The SkillsUSA competition theme for the 2014-15 year is
SkillsUSA: 50 Years of Champions at Work
The topic to be addressed by contestants in the Chapter Display, Prepared Speech and Promotional Bulletin Board competitions is how our theme, SkillsUSA: 50 Years of Champions at Work, addresses the SkillsUSA national program of work in the area of professional development.
Within this topic, contestants might illustrate or discuss any of the following:
- What elements and/or influences developed over the past 50 years have inspired your involvement in SkillsUSA today?
- Describe some of the desired values in the workforce that SkillsUSA has helped its members to develop throughout the past 50 years.
- How has SkillsUSA grown in the past 50 years?
- Describe what characteristics a SkillsUSA champion should exemplify during the next 50 years to be even more successful than in the past?
- In historical terms, describe the leaders in SkillsUSA who have been major influencers on the organization.
- How have the values of teamwork and unity helped members succeed in and out of the organization? Also, why are these characteristics crucial to the longevity of an organization and a successful career?
- What steps will you personally take to ensure that SkillsUSA continues to create skilled and motivated champions? Why is this important to you?
- How has your involvement in SkillsUSA ensured that you will be a champion in the areas of personal, workplace and technical skills?
- In the next 50 years, what skills are needed to fill the job-market skills gap, and how do SkillsUSA members ensure success through their SkillsUSA involvement?
- How is SkillsUSA important to the economic success of America, and what role does the organization play in maintaining this economic success?
- How has SkillsUSA adapted to provide members with the skills needed to be successful in the workforce?
- How does an organization like SkillsUSA ensure its members are successful in the workforce for the next 50 years?
- Which SkillsUSA programs ensure that members are developing personal skills that are needed to for its members to become champions? Program examples may include those that improve the following: integrity, self-motivation, work ethic, professionalism, and responsibility.
- Which SkillsUSA programs ensure that members are developing workplace skills that are needed to become champions at work? Program examples may include those that improve the following skills: communication, decision making, teamwork, cultural sensitivity and leadership.
- Which SkillsUSA programs ensure that members are developing technical skills that are needed to become champions at work? Program examples may include those that improve the following skills: technical literacy, job-specific tasks, service to the community, ongoing professional development and an awareness of safety and health issues.
- Describe how SkillsUSA has helped its members to live out the mission to become world-class workers, leaders and responsible America citizens.