How to Start a Chapter
Congratulations! You’ve made the decision to become a SkillsUSA Advisor. You are starting on a journey that is bound to offer many rewards for you and your students. SkillsUSA members develop into well-rounded people. There are a few basic steps to follow when starting a new chapter. Many of the resources you need can be found right here on the SkillsUSA website while others are available for purchase.
One of the most important things to remember is to help your students to learn an effective planning process for carrying out activities, and to let students take the lead on planning and carrying out your events. They will learn and grow as they carry out their calendar of events.
Checklist for New Chapters
Here are the basic steps to follow to start a new chapter:
- Obtain a Membership Kit by calling 800-321-8422 or download membership materials for the current school year
- Meet with the School Administrator to request permission to start a new program and to gain support for the SkillsUSA chapter (it’s a good idea to have a few brochures on hand to explain program basics and benefits to students, instructors and the school). Our brochure, Be a Champion with SkillsUSA covers all the benefits of the program for schools, instructors and students
- Contact your state office and request to be placed on the state mailing list. Find out about any upcoming activities or deadlines
- If you are starting a new chapter, complete an application for charter
- Identify one or more possible SkillsUSA leaders (technical instructors, a career counselor or another interested person within the school) to help with the new chapter
- Gain support from other faculty members if you plan to involve students from other training programs
- Explain SkillsUSA to the Industry Advisory Council that supports your program, and ask for their support and involvement as the chapter develops by serving as guest speakers, contest judges, etc.